Fall Front Porch Makeover
The Design Chaos
A quick trip to Home Depot, HomeGoods, Target and Hobby Lobby start my day of Fall decorating!
It’s Fall Y’all! Yes, my absolute FA-vorite time of year has arrived and what a better place to start the Holiday Home Tour than the front porch. I have to admit though, since moving onto our 10-acre “farm”, my motivation to decorate our front porch has slightly dwindled. Maybe mega-dwindled. These days the only views our front porch are getting are the deer, the wild turkey and the guests who we close off our insanely messy garage for. It’s pretty awful. Once we get it somewhat cleaned out, we start a new home project and it’s all sawdust and boxes once again. So thanks to you all and my blog views, the Holiday decor has in fact arrived!
As of today, this week, right now, I am devoting more time to my blog. A lot more time. One of my goals in really ramping up the AW blog is to provide more design advice in addition to the usual project and home tours. So… here’s my Fall Porch Tour AND some porch decorating tips…
1. Layer in Odd Numbers- Huh? Probably sounds a bit odd but one of my major rules for design is to decorate in odd numbers. So for this project, the magic number was three. Each side of the front doors has three little vignettes. This odd number creates balance, a focal point and is simply more pleasing to the eye.
2. Don’t Be Afraid of Color- Yes, it’s Fall and orange is the color of the season. However, it doesn’t mean that the fun, colorful rugs and decor need to find another home. In fact, blue and orange are complementary colors so the duo make the perfect combo for Fall. Researching complementary, triad and analogous colors are a great start for determining how to layer colors. Here’s a great article discussing just that… Color Harmonies.
3. More is Sometimes Well… More- Although less is usually more, Holiday decorating is a great time to layer it all and have some fun! Who says it all needs a place too? Random piles and groupings of pumpkins and autumn foliage add such a welcoming and festive feeling to the space.
4. Get Creative- Seasonal decor is also a great opportunity to have some fun with the conventional pieces you already have. Switch out the candles for pumpkins in any lanterns or candle holders sitting around the house for instant Fall decor. Also, two gold polka-dot placemats add a fun touch to a simple straw and pumpkin display.
5. Mix the Elements- One of my favorite ways to add interest to a beautiful display is to mix different materials and finishes. Don’t be afraid to mix natural elements with metals, fabric, rustic wood tones and wicker. The result is a much more showstopping display than a mono-toned array.
Here’s more of our Fall Front Porch!
Triangle Pillows and Polka Dot Placemats- Target
Bronze Tables, Orange Throw, Floral Outdoor Rug, Aqua Lantern, Wood Side Table, Straw Pumpkin, Decorative Grass- HomeGoods
“LOVE” Sign, White/Wood Vase and Letter “H”- Hobby Lobby
Front Door Wreaths- JoAnn’s
Trim Color- Downy by Sherwin Williams
Shutters- Kendall Charcoal by Benjamin Moore
Front Door Stain- Jacobean by Minwax