Our Vintage Modern Kitchen Reveal…
Let’s just sum up this post with… my favorite room of Our Historic Wonderland… I think 😉
Okay, let’s chat KITCHEN! I can honestly say that this was hands down the most difficult room to design. Well, I am not sure if “design” is the correct word or maybe just the most difficult to nail down a decision! As you may, or may not, know… my handsome hubby Mark and I own a kitchen/bath company… APF, Inc. A company that we grew from absolutely nothing, with absolutely no money and zero point zero zero knowledge at the ripe old age of 21. Don’t worry it’s not near as glamorous as it sounds. At all. We were young and crazy and stupid and spontaneous and extremely entrepreneurial. I guess you could say we are still all of those things. Except for the young part. That was 14 years ago. Sob. Sob. Sob.
ANYWAYS, so seeing kitchens for the last 14 years has made my want list about as long as Santa’s list this year. Add on the desire to want to create something unique. Something classic. Something vintage. AND something colorful. Yet not too colorful. And timeless. And perfect for a 1905 home. Yep, my brain hurt.
So let’s take a look at the kitchen BEFORE. Well, what was originally the dining room that I decided to make INTO the kitchen…
Before I get going on the full renovation process, let’s talk about a couple of things in the kitchen. Things I know you all will ask me about…
- Our Marble Countertops- Yes, I do NOT suggest using marble in your kitchen. Yes, I used marble in our kitchen. I am dumb. Do not be like me ;-). Hehe okay kidding. Kind of. The bottom line is that is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL but extremely difficult to maintain. We own a stone company so fortuntely we are able to fix chips and stains and such much easier than most of America. Not trying to sound whatever. Just being brutally honest if you decide to use marble in your kitchen.
- Our Sink- It is AMAZING and was custom made out of our countertop slab by our company… APF, Inc. Mark surprised me with this beauty.
- Our Appliances- Mark went nuts on them because it was the only thing he selected in our home (which he is okay with, not because I am crazy, well I am crazy but ya know) and they are listed below…
Dishwasher (behind cabinet panel next to sink)
Espresso Machine (behind cabinet panel above microwave)
4. Our Vent Hood- I designed it and our company, APF, Inc. built it!
5. Our Open Shelving- Custom-Made by Blackstocks!
So here’s what we did…
1. First, we closed off a doorway that led from the original dining room into the hallway.
2. We re-ran all electrical, all HVAC and restored the original windows.
3. Spray foam insulation.
5. We installed beautiful thick molding on the baseboards, crown and windows! Read more about that HERE… “Trim, Ceilings and Moldings Oh My!“
6. Paint! Read more about that HERE… “Paint, Paint and More Paint…“
Wall Color & Trim Color-Alabaster by Sherwin Williams
Window Sash Color- Inkwell by Sherwin Williams
7. Flooring & Tile!
Closet Flooring- Original 111 Year Old Hardwoods
Read more about our floor restoration & stain color HERE… “They Nailed It! Or Maybe Stained…“
As I mentioned above, I designed them all and our company APF, Inc. custom made EVERYTHING!
Cabinet Color-Cabinet Color- 1/2 Stardew and 1/2 Uncertain Gray by Sherwin Williams
Vent Hood Color- Inkwell by Sherwin Williams
Countertops- Calcutta Reale Marble
9. And then came cabinet hardware & plumbing fixtures!
Barstools… Restoration Hardware
XOXO, Brittany Hayes